Five Things Your Designer Wishes You Knew
About Your Home Renovation Project
- This is your home renovation and the vision of it should start with you! Before even calling on the help of an interior designer spend some time thinking about what you would like to accomplish and what your wish list is. The clearer you are about your expectations the smoother the project will run. Buy home and design magazines and look through to pick out some examples of what you would like your home to feel and look like.
- Communication is paramount! Interior Designers are not mind readers – if you want to be happy with the finished product, you have to be able to express your true feelings with the designer you are working with. On the flip side, the interior designer needs to be able to communicate clearly with you! Keeping an open mind will make everyone more at ease and the process of selections will go much more smoothly. You can’t worry about saying something that might hurt someone’s feelings – this is business.
- Budget does not have to be a bad word! Any good interior designer can help you keep on budget – much more than you would expect. We know what to spend the big bucks on and where to cut corners. I find that looking at the bottom line instead of each individual items cost will make it easier to stick to an overall budget. One has to be realistic, however with expectations of what can be accomplished for your particular budget.
- It is going to get worse before it gets better! Once a renovation project begins, it seems like you’re going backwards. Be realistic about the process, trust that all of the planning and preparation is going to pay off. Sometimes, it is best to not even be around during this stage. If you have hired a good interior designer, have spent time making all of the plans, you then should back off and let the expert handle things. Sometimes there are delays – it is the nature of the beast. We don’t like them anymore than the client, but if something comes up that needs to be handled – that is the time to do it!
- We aim to please! By our very nature, we want you to be thrilled with your home or renovation project. Speaking for myself, I take great pride in my interior design jobs. It is my biggest joy to make my clients happy!